Vitamin D is one of the most talked about yet least understood Vitamins in the world. It may seem readily available as we get it from sunshine and certain foods but do you know the facts?
Myth or Fact?
1) These days people don’t spend enough time outside to get a full amount of vitamin D?
Myth! Some people can produce enough Vitamin D in as little as 10 minutes depending upon the amount of time it takes for their skin to obtain a hue of light pink and depending upon the amount of melanin in their skin. If you are dark-skinned or already have a tan this summer it may take 20 minutes
2) We all need to use Sunscreen to prevent skin cancer but even SPF 8 blocks out most of the Vitamin D from the sun.
Fact! Even low SPF can block out 99% of the sun’s rays.
3) It is easy to get enough Vitamin D from natural food sources.
Myth! Did you know that in order to get enough Vitamin D from natural food sources we would need to eat lots of mushrooms, for example, two cups of raw portobellos, and lots of salmon as in nearly three cups daily! Fortified milk and fortified OJ is the most drinkable source.
4) Vitamin D is only important for bone health.
Myth! Metabolism experts have found Vitamin D receptors in cardiac cells, in the pancreas, and even in immune cells and is thought to have an important role in preventing chronic illness.
5) Age must play a role in Vitamin D production since the elderly often have poor bone health.
Fact! Older people tend to be less efficient producers of Vitamin D and need to be monitored closely.
6) Sunlight through a window can help produce Vitamin D.
Myth! The glass windows block the sun’s rays!
7) The number of people who have Vitamin D deficiency is more than one million.
Fact! Studies show that the actual number of people worldwide that are deficient in Vitamin D is roughly one billion.
Are you getting enough Vitamin D?
Vitamin D is essential for so many bodily functions such as bone growth and Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, depression, and weight gain.
One safe, easy and efficient way to make sure that you are getting enough Vitamin D is by taking the right supplements. I am passionate about helping as many people as possible and want to make sure that everyone has access to Vitamin D supplements. To get your free two month supply of my Vitamin D weekly supplement at FreeRedcrossD.Com